4.14.2015

L is for Little Nellie's in Las Cruces

Anne M Bray, L is for Little Nellie's in Las Cruces, NM, 
Digital painting printed on various substrates in various sizes, ©2015 
Oh Little Nellie's in Las Cruces, NM. I discovered you by accident (it was the flags) on my first post-marital solo expedition in December of 1993. You had [have?] the BEST chile rellenos, huevos rancheros, and NM green chile salsa. I would get a big "go cup" of the salsa, recant it into a glass Mason jar, and nurse it in my cooler for the remainder of my trip. I did this for YEARS! You are the reason I "had" to take I-10 in at least one direction every road trip, and I drove across the US a lot in the 90s.

This is your old location at  939 N. Main Street in Las Cruces.

I don't remember when you relocated to Amador Street, but I managed to track you there.
Then there was the year (2000?) that I pulled into the parking lot and there was a different name on the building. It was not the same. AAAAARGH! So many miles thinking about your salsa to be denied. NOOOOOO!

All along, you've had a second (now your only) location called Nellie's Cafe at 1226 W Hadley. At least I HOPE it's an iteration. The photos on Yelp look the same. It's your hours, Tu-Sat, 8am-2pm, that are the bane of my existence. I can't seem to get my timing synced. Some day... please don't retire until I have at least one more taste of your salsa!

Can you tell that I'm very passionate about NM green chiles? They cause that, it's the endorphins they release when eaten. Now I'm hungry. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. I"m going to have to take my kids there someday - they love chili peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to stop along the road to eat and discover something so yummy you must return?

    ReplyDelete

Moderating comments because otherwise I'll miss them!