3.01.2014

A Roadtripper's Mobile Bookshelf

PURCHASED/ GIFTED/ LINKS/ 
Last night I got going entering some of my road-themed books into Goodreads.
No, none of these, yet.
It could have sworn I had The Art of Pilgrimage, by Phil Cousineau but I couldn't find it.

Then, while shooting the above photo, I remembered that I'd put some road trip books on a special Road Trip Project shelf.
Eureka! Found, and added to my "take with" pile:
Since I'm driving, I can schlep lots of "stuff".
List, with links and comments

Where Chefs Eat, by Joe Warwick
I gave this to Severo, my partner in gluttony. He'll let me borrow it.
Where the Locals Eat, by L. Lee Wilson Purchased pre-Yelp. It's ©1998.
The Food Lover's Handbook to the Southwest, by Dave DeWitt Sensing a trend yet? I got this in 1992. I have used it extensively.
The Creative Habit, by Twyla Tharp Thought this would be good to read again.
Ghost World, by Daniel Clowes Wild card! I won't yet tell you why I'm taking this.
The Way of the Traveler, by Joseph Dispenza This was on the same shelf as The Art of Pilgrimage
The Mindful Traveler, by Jim Currie Currently reading
The Pacific Northwest, Insight Guides I have the 1989 edition. Absurd to take it?
Roadside America
I have two copies of this, it's so entertaining. They also have a website. And an App.
Eat Your Way Across the U.S.A., by Jan and Michael Stern Sure, don't mind if I do!
500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late, by Jan and Michael Stern
Roadfood, by Jan and Michael Stern The classic original.
Road Trip USA, by Jamie Jensen This will be helpful on US2, the northern perimeter. She's written many other more specific guides, like one for New England. Maybe I'll get the Kindle edition.
U.S.A. & Canada, Travellers Survival Kit Picked this up for $1.00. Old ©1993
Rand McNally Pocket Size Atlas
So cute. Usefulness debatable. I've got my AAA maps, my iPhone, and Siri.

Any books (or Apps) that you can recommend?  
Please, not Blue Highways. I've read it and it annoyed the heck out of me. I think Least-Heat Moon writes too elaborately, not for narrative flow, but to let us all know how "learned" he is.

3 comments:

  1. You can always go old school. Have you ever read "Another Roadside Attraction" or "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues"? I also think of Charles Bukowski as rather road trippy. And if you're heading up Montana way, my old stomping grounds, "A River Runs Throught It" will make you want to stop right there. Gotta love Jane and Michael Stern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne!!! I just had to peek in to see what I had written. I commented on your post right after a dinner that took waaaaay to long to arrive. Two cocktails worth and a conversation about Beat Poets. Clearly theses are NOT very practical suggestions. My sober apologies!

      Delete
    2. Well, that explains everything! You really had me wondering with Bukowski, who I always thought of an LA homebody. (I've read almost everything by him -- the ex was a major fan-boy).
      And you forgot the obvious Beat Road Opus, "On the Road" which I've already read, once. Once was enough. The surrounding myth is much more interesting that the actual text on that one. I don't like Keroac's writing in general. He gets too philosophical for my taste.

      Delete

Moderating comments because otherwise I'll miss them!