10.11.2019

Greetings from 77002: Setting up my StARTup Houston Show

The concept of the StARTup Art Fair is this: it's a pop-up takeover of floors of a hotel. Each artist (or group) has a room to make over into their exhibition space (without damaging the walls).
I walked the Venice CA edition last February, and wrote about it here.

Here is my process of redecorating room 400 at the Hotel Icon in Houston.
Room 400 before.
The hallway before.
Those cow prints did NOT want to be removed.
The cow print hanging hardware that I had to work with
Preliminary #dailytrucks hung on existing hardware.
More trucks piled on the orange chair.
Took a break from the trucks to work on hanging the On the Edge pieces in the hallway.
Getting the north edge images hung (left side of hallway).
Southern edge.
My "Eureka!" moment with the blue tape. Better than sticky notes.
This was the most mathematically challenging wall to hang.
The center piece was 5x7", the rest were 4x6".
Southern edge completed.
I installed the eastern edge vertically in the arch of the entryway and the closet door.
I placed the western edge (only had two pieces), random other pieces, and the road trip journal
in a nicely lit niche where the coffeemaker had been.
At this point, Danielle Grant came by to help curate. I was in somewhat of a quandary over how to display the trucks and she gave me some helpful tips. We also discussed the lack of lighting in the hallway.
Trucks randomly hung on existing hardware.
On the walls by the bed, filled in the space keeping the same rhythm
and extended a line to the left over the bedside table.
Took the $25 prints off the bed (too messy) and had a "secret drawer" for them in the bureau.

On the big wall, Danielle suggested "embrace some chaos" vs keeping to a strict rhythm.
I loved this suggestion and it made hanging MUCH easier! No more hanging math!
Room 400 ready to show. I then sat in the chair and took a nap.
The next post will be a video walkthrough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moderating comments because otherwise I'll miss them!